Our 6th annual WoodWorks mass timber conference brings together leaders in engineered wood design and construction. Mass timber technology developments, including LVL and CLT, prefabrication and connection systems are set to transform commercial buildings.
Early advantages have included accuracy, early contractor engagement and speed of construction. Now wood’s advantages in creating biophilic environments and long-term carbon-friendly sustainability are set to be recognised.
The WoodWorks 2021 Conference continues to showcase the practical experiences of a range of building professionals and focuses on completed New Zealand and Australian projects. Each year we also showcase an inspirational wood expert from leading tall timber exemplar building projects overseas.
2-3 November 2021
Distinction Hotel, Rotorua, New Zealand
Health & Safety
The health and safety of everyone who participates in this event is our top priority. Click here to learn more about how we host safe events and why you can book with confidence.
Warning: Attendee List Scam
Large events are increasingly the target of scammers who offer to sell our attendee list to people like you. Please note we will NEVER sell or provide your contact details to any third party.
Who will attend?The New Zealand engineered timber industry, including:
- Engineered timber manufacturers
- Engineered timber suppliers
- Quantity surveyors
- Engineered timber researchers
- Timber industry consultants
- Wood supply chain and logistics companies
- Trades representatives including builders, plumbers, electrical
We have been working closely with a wide range of New Zealand and international companies, service suppliers, researchers and government bodies to develop a strong and innovative programme. If you have any questions about the programme, please contact John Stulen on email@example.com or (+64) 7 921 1381.
WoodWorks 2021 Programme
DAY ONE |
2 Nov 2021
BRANZ are running a free 3-hour workshop on fire controls, energy efficiencies, timber durability and environmental benefits. Click here for further Details.
9.00am - 12.00pm
Red Stag CLT Plant | One-Hour Site Visits
Group numbers are strictly limited on each hourly tour, first tour starting at 9:00am through 11:00am, second tour starting 1:00pm through 3:00pm. Tours start from Red Stag Waipa's site carpark. Click here for further Details.
Networking Icebreaker – MEET & GREET at Distinction Hotel
Venue: Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre,
390 Fenton Street,
DAY TWO | 3 Nov 2021
Welcome & Introduction
John Stulen, WoodWorks NZ
Session 1: Case Study: Clearwater Quays Apartments – Primary Growth Partnership
Keynote Address: Linking Government Policy & Procurement for Sustainable Supply Chains
Jason Wilson, Director - Sector Investment, Te Uru Rākau – New Zealand Forest Service
A 5-Storey Mass Timber Demonstration Building – It’s Role in Building for Climate Change
Marty Verry, Group CEO & Chair, Red Stag Group
Clearwater Quays Architecture: Showcasing Wood in Design for Apartment Living
Phillip Howard, Principal & Registered Architect, Pacific Environments
Rapid Technology Quantifies Advantages of Timber Design & Carbon Sequestration
Barry Lynch, Director & Quantity Surveyor & Eoin McLoughlin, Quantity Surveyor, Logic Group
Panel Discussion + Q&A
Morning Tea & Networking
Session 2: Emerging Growth Markets for Mass Timber and Mitigating Climate Change
Case Studies Showcasing Adaptive Reuse & Mass Timber – Opportunities for Balancing Carbon
Chris Scott, Principal – Registered Architect, JASMAX
Build-To-Rent Case Study: New Ground Living
Roy Thompson, Managing Director, New Ground Capital
Build-To-Rent: An Opportunity for Engineered Wood and Commercial Builders
Shamubeel Eaqub, Economist, Sense Partners
Panel Discussion + Q&A
Lunch & Networking
Session 3: Showcase Projects: Engineered Wood Design & Hybrid Construction
3.1 Case Study Introduction: Te Ara o Puanga (Mary Potter Hospice Apartments)
Daniel Wellington, BDM Engineering Building Solutions, MiTek New Zealand
3.2 Case Study: From Paper to Reality - Te Ara o Puanga (Mary Potter Hospice Apartments)
Daniel Moroder, Structural Engineer, PTL Structural Consultants
3.3.1 The Tools Required to Advocate for Mass Timber - (Perspectives From a Small Christchurch Design Studio)Bernie O'Fagan, Owner, RM Designs
3.3.2 Potential NZS 3602 Changes Relating to Engineered Wood ProductsTripti Singh, Team Leader (Wood Science Design) & Project Leader (Bioactives, Wood Protection), Scion
Afternoon Tea & Networking
Session 4: Focus on Design – Fire Codes for Architects + Kainga Ora Multi-Residential Building System Comparisons
4.1 “Fire Safety of Mass Timber: The Devil is in the Detail”?
Jonathon Beardmore, Senior Fire Engineer, Crossfire
4.2 Generation 2 & 3 Case Studies: Mass Timber & Other Systems – How do they compare?
Matt Noyes, Director – Commercial Group, Kainga Ora
4.3 Kainga Ora Projects: Constructability and Practical Perspectives
Alastair Miles, Owner, Miles Construction Ltd
Networking in Sponsors Exhibition Area
Red Stag Site Visit | Pre-Conference | Further Details
CLT Plant Tour Information:
- Red Stag management reserves the right to limit access or refuse entry to their site to anyone at their own discretion at any time.
- Limited spaces are available for a limited number of WoodWorks 2021 Conference delegates (first come, first served) for a short tour to the Red Stag Wood Solutions Engineered Wood Product (EWP) plant tour departing from the Red Stag Investments Building (Black and Grey building in front of Red Stag Timber reception), at the end of the Waipa site carpark just south of Rotorua on the edge of Whakarewarewa Forest (Waipa State Mill Road). Tours depart from the red Stag Investments building and leave every hour, precisely on the hour. If you miss your allotted tour start time your place will be forfeited.
- Group numbers are strictly limited on each hourly tour starting at 9:00am through 3:00pm on Tuesday 2 November. Closed footwear and long pants must be warn and the taking of photographs is not permitted (images can be requested and distributed by Red Stag to interested parties). All health and safety briefings and warnings must be adhered to for you to participate in each tour.
- For directions to the tour starting point use this address: Red Stag Investments, Waipa State Mill Road, Whakarewarewa, Rotorua 3074.
BRANZ Workshop | Pre-Conference Details
BRANZ are running a free 3-hour workshop on fire controls, energy efficiencies, timber durability and environmental benefits. This pre-conference workshop starts at 10am on Tuesday 2 November 2021. Please note this is a separately bookable event and, while registration to WoodWorks 2021 is recommended, this is not required to attend. For further details and to register, clock on the button below.
Sponsorship & Exhibition Opportunities
To ensure you get a place at either event, if you’d like further information or if you haven’t yet seen a Sponsorship & Exhibition Pack, please contact
Gordon Thomson, Sponsorship Manager, (+64) 7 921 1384 or (+64) 27 275 8022, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Conference Rate refers to your attendance in person at the Rotorua conference and exhibitions
- All prices exclude GST (15%).
- A credit card processing fee of 2.9% will be charged for all transactions.
- The Early Bird Rate applies only to the standard conference rate. To be eligible for the Early-Bird Rate, registrations and payment must be received ON or BEFORE Friday 30 July 2021. All 'Early Bird' discounts require payment at time of registration and before the cut-off date in order to receive any discount.
- *Please note: Red Stag management reserves the right to limit access or refuse entry to their site to anyone at their own discretion at any time.
- For those attending the Rotorua event, the event registration payment covers morning and afternoon teas, lunches, refreshments, a conference handbook, post-event access to presentation PPT’s (electronic download of PDF’s for those presentations where presenter approval has been given).
COVID-19 related information:
- The event organiser will work diligently to ensure that all instructions provided by the New Zealand Government and Health Authorities, relating to travel and the running of events because of COVID-19 are strictly adhered to. You can be sure that we will have all measures in place to safeguard your health and safety.
- It is the responsibility of the sponsor, exhibitor or delegate, if intending to travel to attend the Rotorua conference, to check on all updated health and Government guidelines for any specific entry requirements.
- If for any reason the Rotorua venue was unable to be used because of COVID-19 restrictions that were imposed by the New Zealand Government, those registered to attend the physical event would be transferred to a new virtual on-line event that would be set up by the organisers.
- Please refer to our full Terms and Conditions relating to any event related issues around COVID-19.
For cancellations on or before Friday 20 August 2021, a 10% administration fee applies. Cancellations received after this date are non-refundable but are transferrable. Please allow 30 days for refunds to be processed. If you wish to transfer your registration to another individual from within your company, please provide us with at least 24 hours advance notice.
To read our full Terms and Conditions, Click Here.
Distinction Hotel Rotorua
Your home of adventure located adjacent to the Whakarewarewa Forest offering world class mountain biking trails. With a beautiful garden setting, the affordable Distinction Rotorua Hotel is the perfect place to relax and unwind after enjoying the wealth of attractions and activities that Rotorua has to offer.
Special accommodation rates (per night):
- $155 | Superior Room
- $175 | Deluxe Room
- $230 | Junior Suite
- $250 | Executive Suite