Posted: 8 June 2021
- Instrumental role in surveying our flora and fauna in our State Forests
- Permanent role located in Eden
Forestry Corporation of NSW (FCNSW) is the largest manager of commercial native and plantation forests in NSW. We manage more than two million hectares of forests for the economic, environmental and social benefit of the people of NSW and Australia. FCNSW adheres to the values of respect, innovation, integrity and wellbeing. For more information about who we are and what we do visit forestrycorporation.com.au
About the Role
We have an exceptional opportunity for a passionate Field Ecologist to join our Hardwoods Planning team as we continue surveying our precious flora and fauna in our State Forests. The Field Ecologist role includes a great mix of field and office-based tasks and provides an opportunity to explore the forests of NSW’s south coast while being based in one of the most picturesque coastal locations.
The role is responsible for the timely and efficient completion of accurate ecology surveys that are consistent with established quality standards and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements coupled with the ability to manage survey data and related systems and produce reports as required to support operational plans.
Recent Forestry and/or Natural Resource Management / Environmental Sciences university graduates with field experience are encouraged to apply.
You love the natural environment, landscape and all things flora and fauna, while ensuring quality of standards and compliance. To be successful in this role you will also be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience;
- Tertiary qualifications in Forestry and/or Natural Resource Management /Environmental sciences and or relevant field experience in ecology surveys;
- Good ecological knowledge including flora and fauna identification skills;
- An understanding of native forest and plantation silviculture and an understanding of other relevant areas of forest management including, roading, harvesting and fire management is ideal;
- Knowledge and skills in the use of technologies and systems relevant to operations planning, including GIS and ArcMap or willingness to learn;
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to plan and prioritise work, meet standards and deadlines;
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation, regulatory requirements and best-practice methodologies;
- Current valid Driver’s Licence;
- Ability and fitness to undertake forest firefighting and meet required fitness levels for the role.
How to Apply
Send a copy of your resume and a cover letter outlining why you would like to join the team to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Details and Information
For more information about the role and a confidential discussion, please contact Rohan Bilney on (m) +61 0439 942 899
Applications Close: Sunday 20 June 2021
Forestry Corporation is an inclusive workplace which promotes diversity and encourages flexible working arrangements.
The successful applicant will be required to undergo a medical assessment and drug and alcohol screening as part of the recruitment process. As this role may be called upon for fire- fighting responsibilities, a Task Based Assessment (TBA) at a standard of at least the Moderate Field Test is required.